If you don’t want to wait for the lengthy Pokémon Go catch animation to complete, you can try exploiting this bug:
- Tap on the Pokémon you want to catch.
- With your off-hand (right if you’re a lefty, left if you’re a righty), swipe from left to right and leave your finger down on the left side of the screen. (You should see the Poké Ball selector tug slightly as you swipe.)
- Throw the Poké Ball with your good hand, as usual.
- Lift your finger as soon as the Poké Ball has successfully hit the Pokémon you’re trying to catch.
- Tap the screen to exit the Poké Ball selector.
- Tap the Run icon at the top left to leave the encounter.
You’ll still see the Pokémon on the map. Check your Pokémon Storage to see if you successfully caught the Pokémon or, if it escaped, repeat the procedure to try again.